View Single Post
Old 09.03.2017, 12:16 PM   #49087
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the metacritic score is quite high xD

Aw snap!

Yeah, see, I anticipate this album getting pretty much nothing but good reviews. It's not revolutionary (none of LCD's stuff has been — it's been nostalgic and retro and meta by design) but it is not at all unsatisfying, like some of the recent albums by LCD's contemporaries (Animal Clllective and Arcade Fire and so on).

However, I'm not sure it will be a favorite for the people who actually grew up with LCD Soundsystem. Those people are just entering that know-it-all phase of emerging adulthood. Social media comments (from fans!) like "I liked this better when it was called [PiL, Suicide, New Order]" abound because those folks are now discovering the music that LCD Soundsystem existed to celebrate. And they think they're elite because they've outgrown the intro course and are now into the "deep" stuff ... forgetting, I suppose, that the rest of the world has known about for 30+ years.

So I think this is a good example of how critics loving something doesn't really affect public opinion as much as that dude in the WSJ interview in that other thread suggested.

Me, I can enjoy it because I viewed LCD as a nostalgic endeavor from the beginning, and to me, this sounds like more nice nostalgia after a 9-year break. To the kids who played "All My Friends" in high school, it's probably going to feel a bit dated. Which is funny, because it's supposed to sound dated. Haha.

Yeah, the good songs are good. He touches on some bitter truths about growing old and becoming a fucking shadow of your own adolescent idealistic dreams on "American Dream." "Oh Baby" is just a really well-crafted, epic synth song.

It's not my favorite anything, but it's good. For me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|