Thread: The Fall
View Single Post
Old 01.10.2007, 02:59 PM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's a rare day that I don't listen to a Fall album - a very rare day indeed. I haven't got anything I'd like to call a favourite, but Levitate holds a special place for being nearly ten years in my collection, and still being listened to on a regular basis. Not something I could say for any of the albums I bought at the same time (or 5 years ago for that matter).

Edit: That link Hip Priest added actually answered/ didn't answer a question I've had for a while - whether the rapid turnaround of players is due to the fact that rock musicians were bad at taking instructions (whereas orchestra types are expected to). Brady's a folk fiddler on the evidence of this video, which leaves me with the question of what MES would do with sympathetic classical players.

Edit 2: That's a little oblique - I'm pretty sure, unless I'm much mistaken, that all of the musicians that've been in the Fall have been largely rock-ist auto-didacts rather than coming from 'traditional' fields. Kenny Brady is the only anomaly to this, but it transpires he's a folker, which is equally as idiosyncratic. I know one of the early guitarists was a jazzer, but he was never a very good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|