View Single Post
Old 08.16.2018, 11:13 AM   #5191
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The anarchy you talk about is fine and obviously evident, but as with a lot of books like that, I found that it ends up making its point in the 1st few pages to the point where I could've probably stopped about a quarter of the way in without feeling I'd missed anything.
funny thing the parts i liked the most come later, like her job at the muffin shop, which reminds me a lot of the shit work i had to do back in the.. wait... it’s still happening!

of course im not saying that she offered anything in terms of a sensible reform or revolutionary program, which means she would have had to grow up, and herself become the oppressor, but in terms of sheer criticism of the... let’s call it the cultural unconscious (or whatever), she’s pretty accurate and went to places others have to catch up with. not just with the gender relations business that the book starts with but economics, the construction of the self, the unending pain of poverty, the emptiness of violence, language, myths, on and on she burns through all.

anarchy aside she’s highly literary, and her quotations, allusions and targets are more rarefied than it appears at first impression. there is a serious background behind the unserious attitude. i should look at it again & fish out some interesting bits. dammit, this is making me wanna read it again.

also loved that she was raw and unashamed and put it all out there, from her venereal diseases to her addictions to her narcissism and ridiculousness, true or imaginary, doesnt matter, janey is one of the great doomed rebels of our time ha ha ha
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|