Thread: cassettes
View Single Post
Old 11.30.2019, 06:48 AM   #64
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Can anyone explain me why all of a sudden cassettes have become so popular again?

I’m sure many thought cassettes fell away into nothingness much like 8-tracks did long ago. For me, it’s a medium I’ve always cherished! Making a mixtape and trading it for one from: Glice, Pookie, Danny Himself or many others here at SYG or with total strangers from around the world......the energy exchanged is personal and hard to duplicate. Being able to share/discuss here at SYG made it all the more fun. Personally, I backed off cassettes a bit when I no longer had a vehicles that had cassette players......but I’ve always had home tape decks!

When I saw Wolf Eyes earlier this month, they had two “tour only” cassettes at the merch table. Being able to take home something only available at shows, only listenable on a tape deck and having a brief discussion with John Olson at time of purchase......it’s a tangible memory NOT duplicated via a download or streaming service.

The number of cassette only labels is staggering. I’m assuming there must be some sort of profit for someone because tapes are selling out, often times before ever being released.

SONY has a new Walkman that’s soon to be released......for $500
If you can find old Walkmans at pawn shops or 2nd hand stores, I suggest buying any you find cheaply priced, because they are going up in value. Oh - Goodwill is a great place to score used tape decks. I picked up at Yamaha for $5 when visiting my cousin in Abilene earlier this year.

Speaking of value, many artist understand that a segment of the music buying public isn’t interested in purchasing $30 vinyls.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|