View Single Post
Old 08.29.2017, 08:54 AM   #54
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha! that's totally your desperado song

let's play it...

Nah, that song is way too objectively and unequivocally awesome to be a "Desperado" song. Nobody would think, "What is this guy's problem?" for loving that song. Liking that song just make you look cool. It is a great song, and the guitar around 2:30 makes my heart light up.

NEW CRITERIA!!!

In order for a song to be a "Desperado" song, it needs to elicit incredulous looks and responses like "what the fuck is wrong with this guy" if you zone out to it in the company of the average person.

In that respect, I think very few of the songs mentioned are true "Desperado" songs as observed in the hilarious and classic Seinfeld episode.

"Desperado" itself is a "Desperado" song because, frankly, who the fuck would form such a personal connection to such a hugely popular, well-known and desperately corny song? It's not like it belonged to, or was discoverers by, the guy in the episode who insisted that Elaine "shhh" whenever it played like a self-important douchechill.

So, "Luna Sway" is a no-go. See previous comments about "Marquee Moon" and "Windowlicker" for rationale. There has to be an element of knowingly making a bit of an ass out of yourself, which listening to good music doesn't do. "Sister Ray" doesn't count either. Nor "Ode to Street Hassle."

Songs that WOULD qualify include (for example)
• "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley. Any "Boys of Summer" fans here? I'm sure someone turns it up when it comes on.
• "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac (or more or less any song by Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks)
• "Take a Bow" by Madonna.
• "Fix You" by Coldplay
• "Scar Tissue" by Red Hot Mamajammas

Hits that have something obviously lame or ridiculous about them, but still cut right to the quick for some reason. Not that any of these songs do they for me, but you know that because I've given you the most "Desperado" song of this thread ("All the boys think she's a spy, she's got...")

Commence discussion.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|