View Single Post
Old 09.06.2009, 10:59 PM   #86
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
This is why I cannot advocate any kind of feminist arguments. Unfortunately, the argument of "you don't have a vagina so you have no authority" has effectively silenced me on the issue. And unlike men who call themselves "feminists" out of principle (sway being an example), I think engaging on the inner-discourse of feminism is an essential element of being a feminist. This is kind of the same problem I've had with race theory, even though I advocated philosophy that was considered too radical for some members of racial minorities.

There this def a serious problem with the fact that men are often alienated from feminist discourse.

I believe that it is at times important to have women's only spaces at certain times. Platforms where women can share their experiences together in a safe environment where they aren't feeling as censored. I've found that the problem with male feminists on prinicple is that they don't tend to really listen to women. They step in and try to define their experiences for them. It is important that these men figure their shit out before they go in trying to "save" women. Malcom X said something similiar about whites in the civil rights movement - white people need to work on thier own racism because we start to but in and tell african americans how to save themselves. I think that this is what you are saying about inner-discourse: challenging yr own assumptions, working on yrself etc.

But it doesn't end there. Men and women need to work together in the end, share their experiences with one another etc. Masculinity really fucks with men. Patriarchy's worst victims might often be women, but it still destroys men.

Blah blah, I'm pretty intoxicated right now so hopefully I did an okay job articulating all of that.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|