View Single Post
Old 08.03.2011, 03:40 PM   #1065
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yes demoño but in life it's all temporary. i don't see why the coach has to be american-born. this is a country of immigrants for one thing and countries with tradition will hire foreigners. in the recent copa américa there were 4 teams with argentinian coaches: paraguay, chile, bolivia and nerf guest costa rica were managed by argentinians-- besides argentina. peru had a uruguayan (he didn't celebrate the goals against uruguay). paraguay placed 2nd, peru 3rd.

now yes, they are all in the same region, speak the same language, share things in common, so there is not a culture shock. but as long as you can make yourself understood, and can win games, i don't care where people come from-- there are of course those who have been saying the coach has to be american, and objected to klinsmann, but i don't agree with that. i say buy, beg, borrow and steal from everywhere until it works-- let the immigrants keep building the country as always. i don't know what's up with the LA galaxy though because i don't follow the MLS... it's fucking boring!

anyway, i gotta go fry some bell peppers, see you soon!

You're obviously right. England employ an Italian coach, after all. But England doesn't struggle to maintain a footballing identity amongst its people in the way that the US does. I imagine most Americans still think football is something other countries do very well and any ongoing relience on foreign talent will only reinforce that. America's sports culture (from what I understand) is about winning or nothing. I'm sure it would take the US Team to win the world cup before its media finally woke up but even if it did, without a national hero to pin that victory on, I wonder how interested people would be. Those are all hypotheticals but I do think America's strange relationship with broadly international team sports throw bup some quite unique differences between say England's attitude towards foreign coaches and the US's. And while I think talk of the US winning the WC is obviously somewhat premature, it should be noted that no team has ever won it with a foreign coach. So yeah, I still think Klinsmann is the right move right now but I'd worry if he set a precedent for the future.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|