View Single Post
Old 07.13.2009, 12:48 PM   #16
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yeah, what he said. I loved both bands when I saw them in tiny clubs in Seattle before they got in the hands of big record producers who made them into overblown shit.

I remember hearing Soundgarden on KCMU's local music show in '86 and they played a couple songs that they said influenced them at the time, and they were a Chrome and a Meat Puppets tune off of II. The original tunes they were playing in those days showed those kind of influences too.

Alice on the other hand had been a butt rock band before they discovered what Green River and the like were doing and started doing cooler stuff. But they still put on a great sweaty metal/punk/pop hybrid show before the word "grunge" had stuck and all the songs on Facelift were way better in the club than when the lame slowed down and digitally pumped up album finally came out and made them superstars.

I know I suck for the "I saw them when they were good and now they suck" attitude, but the fact is, it's true. Mudhoney at least put out a few good records that got national recognition (though their major label output wasn't great either, it was at least more boring than overdone).

Get hold of the Deep Six compilation. The "Seattle Sound" was fairly represented on that. Buy the Solid Action comp by the U-men who were the best Seattle band ever. Green River's output is decent too, though always a shadow of what they were like live when Mark was tripping his brains out and rolling around in the crowd like the child of Iggy that even Iggy says he was. The best major label album by a Seattle band, Nirvana excepted of course, is probably by Heart.

Whatever, dude...I'm of the age where hearing "Would?" and "Outshined" on the radio (actually I first heard that song and "Rusty Cage" in Road Rash for PSX) affected me pretty deeply.

I do have a CD compiled by Charles Peterson that came with his Screaming Life book. It has Green River, Tad, and an early Soundgarden song called "Entering"...