View Single Post
Old 12.10.2016, 03:55 PM   #1003
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you must have REALLY not been watching, cuz "orange" is the opposite of a show that makes you believe that "the system" works, and it features neither cops, doctors, courts or lawyers (so far as i've seen). so none of that criticism applies.

it actually looks at multiple levels of corruption and incompetence in the penal system, but in a humorous way rather than a grim documentary style. so it's a decent blend of comedy & drama & social criticism, actually. and it gets addictive for the most part.

There's a lawyer or two in the first two seasons, but... yeah, they're not exactly portrayed in a positive light. I suppose what'shisface's (guy from American Pie) dad is ethical enough. But on the whole, the show makes it its mission to expose the flaws in the system from as many angles as possible. Nobody ISN'T corrupt. Not the cops in the flashbacks, not the prison guards or that absurd social worker with the white hair.. god I hate that guy.

Especially prisons though. For-profit ones. The longer the show airs, the more the system rots, and the more that becomes clear to the few noble-ish minded people involved (like Caputo).

Rob you should watch before you judge. I don't like every season equally but on the whole, I think the show is very good and also very important because of how it addresses the corruption and greed that fuels the prison-industrial complex, and how it pokes at and comments on commerce and privatization.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|