View Single Post
Old 10.23.2017, 12:41 PM   #21779
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you must have been asleep during the scene when they literally occupy the stock market. i don’t blame you though

batman is not about the “real” OWS of course— batman alluded to it in its time but it’s precisely the opposite— batman is against the organized masses.

No, I totally remember that. It just didn’t make me think of OWS at all. I don’t think there was any intention to make it “about” OWS like, say, “Aliens” is “about” Vietnam. The similarities between OWS and the League of Shadows’ activity in The Dark Knight Rises are.... uhh... both have to do with the stock market, briefly. These scenes in TDKR are about terrorism that wears an “everyman justice” mask. But it’s a ruse, and it’s just terrorism. Authoritarianism. The fact that OWS was a gaining momentum at the time may have influenced the imagery, and the tone, but it’s hardly the “OWS Batman” movie. You’re talking about 4 minutes of a 3-hour movie.

Quote:
i caled it the ows installment because i don’t remember what’s called what.

When are you gonna learn to stop worrying and love the Nolan?

Quote:

but anyway i was talking about cheesy revolutions. remember? so yeah i dont want a hollywoo-style replicant messiah ruining blade runner as it threatens to do. or raves at the center of the earth as the machines dig down. or a bunch of cops charging frontally at tanks (lol). ugh!

i’d much rather enjoy the intriguing suggestion of a replicant revolution than a corny depiction of one.

Totally agree with you there.

I felt that wat about the first BR. I was nervous as hell when I learned Deckard’s identity question was going to be definitively answered. I’d much rather have a suggestion, or vague intimation, of an existential crisis than be beaten over the head with one.

The question, when it comes to stuff like this, is always more interesting than the answer. To take it back to Batman (because BAAAAHAHAH!), Heath Ledger’s Joker is infinitely more interesting than Jack Nicholson’s or anyone else’s, because the guy’s a ghost, and you imagination is the limit when it comes to his “origin story.” Guy with nothing in his pockets but knives and lint, who doesn’t even exist officially, is a MUCH more interesting and more frightening threat than a guy who falls into a vat of acid and turns into a clown for some reason blah.

BR2049 managed to not fuck up the answering of the Deckard question, thank god. Shit was still interesting and compelling. But it succeeded against all odds, and chances are a third film would not be as successful at *tastefully* depicting a robot overthrow (ever seen Terminator: Genesis? Bleh).
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|