View Single Post
Old 07.31.2008, 01:57 PM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Well, they have been criticized in the past for selling CDs as "loss leaders," i.e. selling them for under cost just to get people in the stores to buy flatscreen TVs or a microwave. I think it's OK to call that lame and predatory to businesses that actually specialize in recorded media as their primary item of sale.

There was a baked-beans war over here a few years ago, similar thing.

With CDs as loss-leaders, my take is generally - I don't care that Wal-Mart is underselling my Avril Lavigne albums. I don't care that I'm getting an Elvis compilation under-trade. Bonkers 14 isn't an enterprise that I particular feel needs masses of money. I can understand the problem with it in principle, but the fact of the matter (if I might be so bold) is that the demographic of Best Buy shoppers is unlikely to conflict with the 'indie' demographic, for whom profit margins are much smaller (although I suspect the 'profit per unit' on a Christina Aguilera album is significantly smaller than that of the latest Whitehouse opus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|