Thread: Sonic humans?
View Single Post
Old 05.27.2006, 11:59 AM   #72
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Brave Combo were featured on The Simpsons in 2004 during the Oktoberfest scene in the episode Co-Dependent's day. I think they got the end music spot too & Matt Groening is a fan; on a related note, Sonic Youth are reportedly his favorite band & we all know about their appearance also.

There was a day when fame meant hoofing it in some big-budget musical or, maybe, a spot on Solid Gold. In these complicated times of bloggers and Real World celebrities, however, success is a far trickier beast. How do you know when you're famous? Is it when your sex tape circulates on the Internet, or when Iraq invites you for a visit? Here's one surefire watermark: You've made it when The Simpsons--the best television show, period--animates you.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:xDdC8JbXqU4J:www.dallasobserver.com /issues/2004-03-11/music/sceneheard.html+simpsons+brave+combo&hl=en&gl=us&c t=clnk&cd=6

Co-Dependent's day is the season 15 episode where Marge becomes a lush & after Homer wrecks, takes the blame as the drunk driver when Homer switches places with her. The subplot is about Bart & Lisa's annoyance with Randall Curtis, in a parody of George Lucas, after seeing the new "Cosmic Wars" movie. It was one case where The Simpsons lifted an idea from a South Park episode; it's the other way around usually.

http://www.tv.com/episode/315351/summary.html

I was wondering about the difference between Brave Combo & Brave New Combo. I've been wondering this ever since I saw that epidode of The Simpsons back in '04, so I wiki'ed. Brave Combo won the Grammy for Best Polka album in 1999 with their album, get this, Polkasonic. Wiki also tells us that they won again just last year for Let's Kiss. Who knew polka had it's own category? Where is Weird Al Yankovic in all of this hehe? An ex-girlfriend (yet another) of mine was given an elaborately handmade Yugoslavian accordion by her stepdad for her high school graduation & I used to play around with it. Accordions are pretty neat & very difficult to play.
The listing also reports that Brave Combo members appear in Davd Byrne's 1986 movie True Stories. The soundtrack album & the movie (dog) itself are the worst thing that Talking Heads ever did. I remember being really let down by it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_Combo

I probably didn't look hard enough, but I still haven't found the answer anywhere of what the difference between Brave Combo & Brave New Combo is & was wondering if Daycare Nation might know. I think Brave New Combo was their original name, but I may very likely have this backwards (makes sense), & I have nothing to back this up except fuzzy memories.

porkmarras*, you're too funny.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|