View Single Post
Old 10.06.2017, 11:23 PM   #50191
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Weezer
Pinkerton
1994, Apparently Pinkerton was critically hated upon its release. And that led a bit to its cult status. I didn't know any of that at the time. I didn't really pay attention to reviews back then. But I mean, the band almost broke up after Pinkerton which would have been awful. When it was released I loved it. All I heard was like - Oh, Weezer made an album like their first one only with way more teeth. And feeling. We didn't really have the term emo back then did we? Pinkerton is fucking legend. It's a crazy heart on sleeve album about desire and desperation. It opens with a song about being tired of sex. I mean... wow. And that song kills. It's so dark and the opposite of "Buddy Holly" y'know? And then there's "The Good Life," a song about a 20-something feeling like an old man. It takes a certain type to identify with that, but I did... even in my teens. This is totally an album of self-deprecation. Not only is Rivers cuckolded but he's in love with a lesbian or fantasying about a fan in Japan. It's definitely a departure from the first album. Darker and more up-front. By the time you get to "Butterfly," the closing acoustic number you don't even know what to make of the soft delivery but its rather alarming lyrics. This is a record that is fearless, and to that extent almost imploded the band. Of course I'm glad that didn't happen even if it meant sitting through a hiatus. Eventually the cult emerged and the band realized they were on to something. Pinkerton is an absolute 90's classic.