View Single Post
Old 10.20.2014, 10:46 AM   #1273
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Y'all tell me if I should check out Game new album because I didnt much like Jesus Piece aside from the kick a$$ cover art

Well, let's see...

I love The Game. Y'all know I am one of Jesus Piece's few staunch supporters. So I'm surprised I lost track of things & bought this new joint after it had been out for an entire week.

So, now that I've been driving around jamming it all night and morning, I can tell you what I think:

Yes- but it. It's a good album. Is it perfect? No. For example, the first song throws some pretty outdated disses at the current rap scene. He calls "new generation" rappers "faggots" (over a pretty sick beat) and basically talks about takings chainsaw to their faces.

He tells Frank Ocean to "go ahead and fuck these niggas," which, considering the "faggot" remark, sounds like a really insulting homophobic dis of one of hip-hop and R&B's most innovative voices.

He talks about "coming up with" Kanye, Jeezy and 50. Which really isn't accurate. He didn't come up with Jay-Z,or Busta, or Nas or Eminem either, but he wants you to know he really likes those guys.
He's closer to 50 and Kanye, having collaborated with them both extensively. But still it's hard to pin down who he hates and who he likes. At one point he says "Fake Ass Kanye, Fake Ass Weezy" and it sounds like he's dissing Ye and Wayne, when he's really accusing someone (??) of ACTING like a "Fake ass" version of Yeezy/Weezy.

Worst of all, he calls himself "THE BLACK MARSHALL MATHERS", which is an extraordinarily self-deprecating comment, and possibly the worst brag line I've ever heard. I really hate the fact that Eminem has become synonymous with "really good rapping" AGAIN. I thought the world was over that. Game's flow is superior to Em's in every way, except for possibly sheer practiced technical delivery, which Em is good at, despite how awful he is overall.

I really like this song, but the whole "Fuck Yall Niggas" thing (he says it approx. 800 times in the first two songs alone, so I guess he really hates these "niggas" because they're not "them niggas," who he apparently feels quite a kinship for)

So apart from the redundancy of some of the lyrics, and his fanboy gushing over Nas, Jigga, Eminem (Hmmm - someone doesn't belong in that group... *chin-scratch*), and the (possibly) homophobic disses against Frank Ocean and other "faggot" rappers (UHH... I've heard Rocky swings both ways, but I'm not sure I believe it), it's a good solid record.

Some of he guest spots are half assed. Lil Wayne is barely recognizeable in "Fuck Yo Feelings." 2 Chains doesn't give a very inspired performance. Ty Dolla Sign is a welcome contributor; he continues to build his reputation as a producer and performer, and when he finally drops a full length LP, it's going to fucking explode.
Also, Freddie Gibbs lends his inimitable skills to "Hit 'Em Hard," and is probably one of the main reasons why it's the album's dopest club banger.

Overall, I have to say it's not as forward-thinking as Jesus Piece, which will hopefully one day be recognized as the classic that it is. But BLOOD MOON: YEAR OF THE WOLF is consistent, and full of the kind of satisfying, bass and beat heavy, sample-light production that should make west coast fans happy. These are direct, hard hitting tracks. No chipmunk soul samples (but of course, there's no Kanye on board to lay them down). I find this a bit disappointing, because I love what Kanye and The Game create when they work together.

Something about the album makes me think there will be a sequel. Don't ask me why.

I think you need to buy it. If Rick Ro$$'s Mastermind is a must-have 2014 album, then so is this.

Too many pictures of his fucking kids in the foldout though. It looks like an Ice Cube family Comedy on the inside, and the cover would be really tight if it didn't have a girl in a ballerina outfit.

Oh, he does *approach* chipmunk soul on "Bloody Moon" where he vividly describes watching his half-sister being sexually abused by... Somebody's dad. Explicit references to the "tip of his penis" rubbing against her face, and something about his semen that my psyche blocked out. It's just the kind of thing that makes a song unlistenable. He could have discussed the topic in a less super-disgusting way, and the result would have been more powerful.

But give it a listen bro. For sure. It's Game. It's good shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|