View Single Post
Old 03.10.2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've spent my entire adult life, and a far too much of my adolescence, trying to expose people who would otherwise never get the opportunity, (friends, partners, family), to Sonic Youth's music.

WHY DO I CONSISTENTLY FAIL?

I've tried. Believe it, I have tried and tried and tried. I have bought countless copies of DN, Washing Machine, Sister, Murray Street, and so on for countless people, usually depending on that person's taste. I have played SY for girlfriends, confident that they will be blown away. Then Kim's voice comes on, and I start to view what's happening from the girlfriend's perspective. I realize, at that point, that it appears as though I am playing some kind of joke on her. Or that I am insane. Or that, maybe, this is just really, really shit music. When I think about it from the point of view of an SY "layperson", I understand completely why none of my efforts has ever been effective.

Have you ever tried to get someone with no real experience with non-traditional pop music in to Sonic Youth? If so, how has it worked out?

For me, long ago, I, quite luckily, found a girl who loved the band almost as much as I do. But I've come to the conclusion that SY is not a "Man, check out this kickass new track!!!" kind of band, unless you're dealing with someone who's already into something similar.

Now there's a new person who I want to get into SY. Cool person, but limited music perspective, and low tolerance for outright noise. Would you be so kind as to help me create a playlist that will be more likely to catch someone's ear. It's not for a girl I like or anything, just a younger co-worker who was probably a toddler when Kurt Cobain died, and she could really use a history lesson on alternative music.

So please help me. Suggest songs for a playlist that I can give her that will turn her ON to the music and not OFF. Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who suffers from this. Tell me I'm not the only one who's interrupted a party to put on "Bad Moon Rising" only to be met with immediate silence, the focus of a hundred blank irritated drunk stares.

Severian.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|