View Single Post
Old 06.03.2006, 10:36 AM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Plus, the widely accepted western classical music theory kids get fed in college doesn't account for microtonal music as far as I am aware of. Wouldn't the comprehension of microtonal systems be part of musical literacy?

Yes and or no... surely its an extension of one branch of general musical literacy? I mean, no one is ever going to know every musical system, I don't think microtonal understanding is important enough to be considered fundamental to literacy, unlike the 'western classical music theory' you speak of. I mean, if you're including microtonal as 'crucial', would you then say you have to have an in-depth knowledge of spectralism, and Xenakis? I love both, and I have a musical literacy, but I don't particularly feel the need to understand how Xenakis got from statistical analysis of clouds to his IRCAM system, mainly because I would probably need a phd in maths...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|