View Single Post
Old 03.29.2012, 08:08 PM   #20
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
The most influential band over the past 30 years? How does one even go about determining this? Even further, what qualifications must one have to be a trusted to come up with such a determination?

A ton of music has occured over the past 30 years. I'd say Nirvana was pretty damned influential, as their influence can still be heard in plenty of today's music...however, Nirvana was also known to quote dozens of bands as their own influences, not to mention they were notorious for blatantly stealing the riffs of other bands (this is very common place in rock music).

Were the Sex Pistols an influential band deserving credit as being as such? For sure...even though they were basically (as countless others have) ripping off The Stooges and tons of New York shit (Sorry, Johnny...but Richard Hell DID do it first...or at least before you did. I still think yr cool, though).

I can't be bothered with this sort of jazz. That said, I still think in a perfect world Sonic Youth should be just as big, if not bigger, than the Beatles. I mean, they basically approached their influences in the same way...taking elements of what they like from other artists, and blending it together into a sonic stew.

What would Nirvana have been without the Melvins? Would they even exist? I personally feel confident in saying I don't think so...at least, not as we know them. But Nirvana are, and will always, be bigger than the Melvins. It's all a shame. A shame that doesn't matter. Who'd the Melvins have been without Black Flag?

Rock Magazines pretty much always suck. They'll write about any 'ol bullshit people will buy(mostly lame folks lacking anything in the way of an intellectual outlook toward music...the sort that will say "of course Page was badass, he was voted #3 best ever on such-n-such poll). lol.

I know who the best/most influential are to me...and that's all that matters.

Some asshole get's paid money to write about the most influential artists over the past 30 years...and people find that interesting? Don't waste yr coin, please, kiddies. Go buy some records and form yr own reviews instead.