View Single Post
Old 10.01.2015, 12:50 PM   #19105
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
anyway last night i finally watched the legendary HOOP DREAMS.

which was 3 hours long

and so before we started i said "eh, it's so long, we can watch it on installments"

but then we couldn't turn it off and ended staying up late!

it was really amazing and the time went flying by.

the criterion disc comes with the siskel/ebert reviews in the extras, which are worth a good look not just because how much they loved this movie (best of the year/best of the decade) but also because they really shook up the establishment re: documentary oscars.

Yeah, fantastic doc. Reminds me I should watch it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah le mépris i really love as well, mostly for the great cinematography and fritz lang and let's admit it, brigitte bardot. oh, and jack palance as the ugly american! even though the ending is a bit facile, right? kinda like a kid's wishful-thinking revenge.

[ETA - rereading about this i had forgotten the whole ulysses/penelope/poseidon thing which is so very well done and why i loved that movie so much from the first time i saw it. just brilliant. a masterpiece.]

I can take or leave the Fritz Lang element, too much like Godard just name dropping. But yeah, it's his most unashamedly beautiful film, to the extent that he probably disowned it during his Maoist period.

Did you know he apparently wanted Kim Novak instead of BB? That would've been a masterstroke, not that I'm complaining about BB.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|