View Single Post
Old 06.30.2016, 08:20 AM   #4323
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am not much of a fiction reader. I read sci-fi, some specific writers (Vonnegut, Bukowski) but otherwise I mostly read non-fiction books, usually about science, cognition, or identity.

I am also a fan of proper punctuation, and do not find it "clever" or "avant-garde" to write without punctuation like McCarthy does. I find that shit pretentious and distracting.

I agree when it comes to McCarthy. He's got a head full of interesting images and ideas, but often seems to fall short when executing them, at least in my opinion — the No Country for Old Men film is the best thing associated with his name — but in other instances I can totally get behind writing that is unhindered by the rules of punctuation/style. Specifically with Karoac. His unstructured approach is what gives On The Road such a unique sense of abandon. Truman Capote can gripe about it all day long, it's fucking glorious.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|