Thread: Religion thread
View Single Post
Old 10.01.2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
been staring from the outside waiting for a shitstorm but nothing.

anyway, ex-catholic here. buddhist sympathizer-- not in the religious sense but in the "philosophical" sense not in the western "philosophy" sense but yeah plenty of well developed ideas. i don't "believe" in it but rather find myself in agreement with a lot.

found this little chart the other day.

clearly i'm not ready to practice the whole of it but some of it just makes so much sense and notice how there is no santa claus there, except maybe the "cessation of suffering" which is a great concept that gets to the real meat of the problem.

reasonable stuff there for the most part, mostly practical. hocus-pocus not required.

My Superman thing requires no hocus-pocus. It’s basically like having an imaginary friend that you hope, somehow, might someday not be imaginary. Mine involves Kuhn, so... pretty practical.

Anyway, I have respect for Buddhist philosophies. But I’d never be a Buddhist, because it — like being anything — requires that you insist to know the unknowable.

I’m an ex-catholic too. But I honestly don’t see why anyone needs religion. Keep your beliefs in your mind and that should be good. It’s good enough for me anyway. I don’t see any need to gather with people that “believe” (don’t not believe) the same thing. Just another unnecessary division between human beings.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|