View Single Post
Old 01.18.2010, 02:33 AM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think snobbery and obscurity are necessarily the same thing. There are just as many Classical music snobs as there are those that champion more relatively unknown music. Whether obscurity itself is in decline, I think it's the opposite. I remember a time when a band weren't even deemed to really exist unless they'd made it onto TV or a music paper. Now literally millions of bands appear to be existing obscurely on sites like myspace. It's probably possible now to listen solely to music that's never had a single 'official' release.
It's true that there is still that classical music/everything else divide, as well as the mainstream/anything non-mainstream gap which is wider than it's ever been. Today, though, with your myspaces, mediafires, last fms, mp3 blogs etc, anyone with a passing interest in slightly more daring sounds has the chance of reading about it on a website, and can access the band's music straight away, so you can check for yourself if that mysterious band really is worth the praise. To make an example out of someone who posts on here, atsonicpark's band namedropping would dramatically decrease if it wasn't because of the internet. This is no criticism of atsonicpark, by the way.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|