View Single Post
Old 05.27.2009, 11:49 PM   #115
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Jams Run Free (easily in my top 5 SY songs; on my list of "perfect" songs (with the definition of "perfect" being [as I heard it before, but can't remember where] "not when there is nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away" (and not just in terms of "perfection" in general, but perfection in concisely encapsulating everything I love about SY)))

That being said...

Art is not consumed in a void; it's impossible to compare one person's experiences to another's, or one person's experiences to that same person's experiences under different circumstances (or after more experiences). For example: I initially was slightly disappointed with The Eternal (and commented that I liked RR somewhat better). Then I listened to The Eternal stoned, and reversed my opinion completely. However, since I am in a different life situation now that doesn't consist of having to leave my apartment to smoke (in case my now-deceased partner's probation officer stopped by for her once-monthly visit), I rarely bother with driving around my [new, and less quiet [traffic-wise]] neighborhood, listening to music on headphones while getting high. RR was a long, intense fling--from spring through early autumn. It became almost a ritual, where the minute details and deviations became thrilling (such as the times when the pointless light at Crosswinds and 68th St. turned green just in time for me to not have to stop, right as Kim sang/spoke the line "the light is green"; or that one trip around my complex where an abnormally large number of prowling cats were about, glaring at me and then scurrying out of the way, which prompted me to exclaim "Cats!" during "Rats"). After professing the brilliance of the new album, I rapidly lost interest in listening to it; not for the lack of good songs, but for the obviousness of their goodness (which negates the need for scrutiny of the details). Of course, I must also consider the fact that--as previously stated (and I think this was my point, actually)--I haven't been experiencing The Eternal in the same set of circumstances (ie: stoned out of my gourd), so it's impossible to compare them.

But that wasn't the point of this thread. Anyway, I also loved "What A Waste," which I know many people despised; there was something about the rapid change-ups in style [I have a self-diagnosed "surprise addiction"], Steve's "trick" drumming [which I also like in "Calming the Snake"--the first time it's 2 quarter notes before the vocals come in, and the second it's 2 eighth notes (throws off my head-thrusts)], and that oddly beautiful instrumental before the "SY dance beat" comes in at the end. "Turquoise Boy" was also a gem. [[[[ok, im done]]]]
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|