View Single Post
Old 02.25.2017, 10:29 AM   #20736
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
im in between two halfs of a futbol game so just quickly to say i don't think science fiction is any longer some sort of pariah of the narrative arts and hasn't been for a very long time

are there some probably older people who just don't get it? sure. but for the rest of us i think science fiction is often the best way to understand the heavily technological world in which we live, to the point that "science" fiction and just fiction are becoming indistinguishable. e.g, delillo.

don't know about other arts but this desegregation already happened in academia, a long time ago, at least since the publication of "technoculture" back some time in the 90s when the professors publicly and massively acknowledged the importance of the formerly pulpy genre, but since way before then there were people like darko suvin taking a serious look at science fiction

---

eta (because now you got me going) things like nuclear war have always been almost exclusively dealt through science fiction-- ever since h.g. wells coined the term "atomic bomb". i think even after hiroshima and nagasaki, which actually happened, the thing was so incomprehensible that instead of looking at it as history we kept grappling with it as science fiction.

nuclear war was the biggest most important question facing humanity in the XX century (don't know why it's not still, maybe we got used to it not happening yet) and i don't believe that the fictions that attempted to deal with it were somehow unserious, even though they were often extremely funny (e.g. strangelove)

btw, speaking of nuclear war, and the neutron bomb, just rewatched repo man this past weekend and it keeps getting better and funnier with every rewatch. why??

--

eta, again

so the games are over and i think science fiction became mainstream in academia through the rise of cultural studies in the... 80s? one of the few good things about this plague, actually, as well as putting film and literature in the same plane-- though literary people tend to do film poorly, as purely subject matter analysis.

anyway i'm fucking rambling now ha ha ha. your turn.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|