View Single Post
Old 02.23.2017, 04:02 PM   #20722
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think Cassavetes's is a general influence on Scorsese, like he's in his DNA. I don't see much of it in Goodfellas - far less than say Mean Streets - but it is there, almost by default. Altman does make sense though, in a way that I don't think I'd ever think of him in relation to any Scorsese film prior to Goodfellas.

And Oceans 11 yeah, the more I think about it. Yeah I'll buy that. If Altman had directed Oceans 11 with a cast picked by Cassavetes it might not've been too far removed from Goodfellas.

Good one
===

Good call on After Hours. Also not challenging Raging Bull but another 80s one that gets too easily overlooked is The Colo(u)r of Money. A great film, although a lot will depend on how people deal with Tom Cruise in it - essentially a flash little cunt playing a flash little cunt.

Also, from the 90s, Bringing Out the Dead is a great little nod back to the pre-Goodfellas era. It doesn't completely come off but I really like it. Taxi Driver is the obvious reference point but something about it also reminds me a bit of After Hours.

Fuck that guy's made some great films!

Really has. And if I was to pick any director to sit and chat with it'd be him. Man, that guy knows his beans about film.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|