View Single Post
Old 02.23.2017, 03:18 PM   #20721
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i was thinking for goodfellas maybe altman could be a predecessor, but the way altman ran his ensemble casts is totally different

then i read this and thought of cassavetes--because he mentions him a lot, lol

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/21/mo...pagewanted=all

funny thing though, in that retrospective they paired goodfellas with the original ocean's 11 (i haven't seen it)

but i can see some cassavetes in goodfellas. not towering over it or smothering it at all though. as an inspiration, sure.

dammit, this board, when it works, it's fucking great.

I think Cassavetes's is a general influence on Scorsese, like he's in his DNA. I don't see much of it in Goodfellas - far less than say Mean Streets - but it is there, almost by default. Altman does make sense though, in a way that I don't think I'd ever think of him in relation to any Scorsese film prior to Goodfellas.

And Oceans 11 yeah, the more I think about it. Yeah I'll buy that. If Altman had directed Oceans 11 with a cast picked by Cassavetes it might not've been too far removed from Goodfellas.

Good one
===

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
80s easily raging bull. i also like after hours a lot but it's not the same caliber. but i like after hours a lot--it's hilarious.

Good call on After Hours. Also not challenging Raging Bull but another 80s one that gets too easily overlooked is The Colo(u)r of Money. A great film, although a lot will depend on how people deal with Tom Cruise in it - essentially a flash little cunt playing a flash little cunt.

Also, from the 90s, Bringing Out the Dead is a great little nod back to the pre-Goodfellas era. It doesn't completely come off but I really like it. Taxi Driver is the obvious reference point but something about it also reminds me a bit of After Hours.

Fuck that guy's made some great films!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|