Thread: uk vs. us punk?
View Single Post
Old 04.24.2011, 10:58 AM   #68
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Look bro, I'm not trying to be a dick here but I'm going not going by internet definitions but rather by general consensus here, same with a band like Assuck, if memory serves me correctly they recorded Anticapital at Morrisound (by Scott Burns no less) and played grindcore, yet they were intrinsically linked to the punk scene in every way. If you went by this sort of musical exclusion process I'm sure bands like Hellnation, Man Is The Bastard, S.D.S. and hundreds of other bands that don't fix exact parameters of punk musically need to be "excluded", although I suppose this sort of mentality is why they didn't particularly mind such exclusions.... so I have no idea why I'm advocating for their inclusion in a scene hell bent on "defining itself".......
Maybe you should post that on Terminal Boredom and see the sort of response you'd get. Again, even though ND have strong ties with punk, that's not the first word that springs to mind when you think of their records. The exclusion you talk about isn't something that's ever been a big problem since, as you mentioned earlier on the thread, punks would attend ND gigs, for instance. Same, you know, as when people attend certain shows (see the goths + metal or noise + psychedelia flirtations) because of a shared appreciation of
certain aggression/sounds in music without necessarily sticking to that formula when picking up an instrument. And for fuck's sake, if you call all fast and aggressive music punk, you're simply adding to your own or other people's confusion when making distinctions between bands.
You should leave that to clueless bloggers.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|