View Single Post
Old 10.22.2008, 11:29 AM   #96
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno if Loveless was really that groundbreaking, especially compared to something like Spiderland. Certainly, it popularized the genre, but actually, Isn't Anything was way more groundbreaking (mainly because it came before Loveless)... and a way better record. Loveless was just really simple boring songs with a lot of guitar layers. Basically, it was Isn't Anything with worse songs, worse production, and more noise. There are maybe 3 great songs on it.

If we're talking groundbreaking and revolutionary, the entire shoegaze genre can be traced back to dream pop bands like Cocteau Twins and the noisey pop Jesus and Mary Chain were doing. MBV can be credited with popularizing the genre, but I think even Slowdive's "Just for a Day", released the same year as Loveless, was about a thousand times better.

I think Spiderland, however, was an album that came out that definitely didn't sound like anything released before. And beyond just its influence, it also happens to be an amazing record with 6 jawdropping songs..... just amazing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|