View Single Post
Old 03.14.2016, 10:40 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I never understand the appeal to all these comic book movies.. they always suck.. the production is always campy and over the top.. the acting is always subpar.. the CGI is always too much... I much prefer watching the animated versions of these..

The Miller era Dark Knight stuff was as BRILLIANT if not more so as the Wolverine solo series from that same era...

Old Man Logan? They're making that into a movie (another Fucking Hugh Jackman movie, hopefully the last), and it's going to be rated R. Working title is (get read!) Wolverine 3.

The appeal is different based on the character. For me, the appeal of the Marvel films I don't hate is pure fun. I love Captain America and a few other characters, but mostly I think the movies are just eye popping good old fashioned fun.

The appeal of Batman is entirely different. It's a constant wishing and waiting game to see if the beloved and decidedly non-campy characters are going to be done justice. Tim Burton did well with what was available to him at the time, and though he made acting secondary, he recruited good enough actors that it worked. Nolan did the impossible by making an entire trilogy that peaked with one of the best movies of the last decade. Every character was pulled off beautifully.

The appeal of Superman is different again. It's a tricky one, because it can't be all about action and it can't have not enough action. It has to concede a bit to the fact that the character was definitely a Christ analogue from the start without turning it into something corny. Superman is actually one of the most complex characters out there. And for me, he's the most personal. I'm so glad Tim Burton never got his hands on Superman. Ugh.

Didn't you read comics as a kid? I did, and still do. They were a huge part of my early development. How could you not understand the appeal of seeing characters you grew up with come to life in front of you? It's a tough thing really, because it's usually done WRONG. Those first three X-man films were just awful. As were the Spidey films, the Hulk films, Daredevil, Green Lantern. For every one that's GREAT (Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy, Man of Steel) there are handfuls that are just ok (iron man, iron man 2, Thor, the recent X-men films) and countless absolute pieces of shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|