View Single Post
Old 03.13.2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone planning to see this next week? Anyone planning to avoid it at all costs?

I know there's a lot going on in the world right now, and that all of it is without exception more important than this film. But this thing's finally about to open, and I am a comic nerd so I feel the need to talk about it.

Took me a long time to warm to the idea of this film even existing. I think DC has an entirely different set of strengths than Marvel, and I think it would behoove them to carve out a cinematic universe that played more to those strengths (iconic individual characters, rather than iconic teams; villains that don't suck, etc.). So I would much rather see a sequel to Man of Steel followed if necessary by a new Batman reboot than something like this.

Also I'm just not a fan of Mr. Affleck, and I think Zach Snyder's impulses as a director are frightening, and need to be kept in line by someone who isn't an idiot. The idea of a more dark and tornented Superman (a la Man of Steel) is something I can totally get behind. But Superman should never NEVER be in an R-rated film, director's cut or not.

So I'm a little nervous about all of this. These are my two most beloved comic book characters of all time, but I feel no need to see them share a screen. However, I've been impressed by the trailers and I am prepared for it to be a either an explosive action film that's a lot of fun, or a Watchmen-esque insult to everything I love about comics. Either way, I'll be there on opening weekend.

I'm pretty sure everyone can safely assume that this is not going to be a great film, like the Dark Knight. Ok, it's definitely not going to be a great film, and of course it's not going to be as great as the Dark Knight. But it should be fun... I hope.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|