View Single Post
Old 03.07.2007, 10:39 PM   #24
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
To me "Deanna" is the low point of Cave's career as he just sounds foolish when he used to sound threatening (though he has done some music concurrent to it and even afterwards that was quite strong). If you like it, more power to you. I suppose that by definition, "more accessible" music will find more people that like it. And those of us who don't join the Alternative Nation are just elitist twats.

To me, when somebody asks for a reccomendation of an album, I think suggesting the greatest hits is rather insulting to them. Wouldn't they already have figured out that if they wanted to get a cross section of most popular singles then they should pick up the greatest hits? We have here somebody who says their into the Birthday Party and wants to check out albums by Nick Cave that came out later. To that request, I stand by my suggestion and say start with From Her to Eternity and go chronological from there.

I don't think the Bad Seeds first few records sound like the Birthday Party and never said I did, I said they continue from where the Birthday Party left off - i.e. powerful, innovative music. I'll even admit that my favorite song on the first album is the title track single, but there's so much more and it's all way better than "Deanna".

Deanna is a great song, there is nothing wrong with it. I just find you funny because this is the first time I've ever heard of someone hating that song with such a passion. Maybe your efforts to discredit it would be better spent elsewhere.

And please, spare me this "Alternative Nation" nonsense. The way you talk, it's as if you think the Bad Seeds were on the verge of being as big as Nirvana or something, and were in danger of "selling out" in some way. Their singles, for the most part, have always been very strong, solid sort of songs. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably just bitter because the band was actually moving in a new direction rather than rehashing old material and staying in their safety zone.

I think the point of recommending a Best Of was so that the original poster could decide for themself what real album they wanted to buy first. Here we had people recommending From Her to Eternity as well as The Boatman's Call, two entirely different records. Sometimes it's a good thing to hear a wider range of material before deciding on what record to buy, especially when there are so many to choose from. Not everyone here has money coming out of their ass, you know. Opinions, maybe, but not money.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|