View Single Post
Old 03.07.2007, 06:52 PM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
So what you're saying is that a person who likes the Birthday Party will not enjoy a song like "Deanna" for what reason? Because it sounds different? I mean I love the Birthday Party, but I don't want everything else that I listen to to sound like the Birthday Party, nor do I think that music loses its value when it has a catchier, more accessible sound. The Bad Seeds "Best of" is just a collection of good songs that is nice to put on every now and then, and it really would be a good starting point for someone. It's not like it's made up of a bunch of songs that everyone and their grandmother has heard 10 billion times each. This isn't the Beatles we're talking about, you know.

To me "Deanna" is the low point of Cave's career as he just sounds foolish when he used to sound threatening (though he has done some music concurrent to it and even afterwards that was quite strong). If you like it, more power to you. I suppose that by definition, "more accessible" music will find more people that like it. And those of us who don't join the Alternative Nation are just elitist twats.

To me, when somebody asks for a reccomendation of an album, I think suggesting the greatest hits is rather insulting to them. Wouldn't they already have figured out that if they wanted to get a cross section of most popular singles then they should pick up the greatest hits? We have here somebody who says their into the Birthday Party and wants to check out albums by Nick Cave that came out later. To that request, I stand by my suggestion and say start with From Her to Eternity and go chronological from there.

I don't think the Bad Seeds first few records sound like the Birthday Party and never said I did, I said they continue from where the Birthday Party left off - i.e. powerful, innovative music. I'll even admit that my favorite song on the first album is the title track single, but there's so much more and it's all way better than "Deanna".
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|