View Single Post
Old 02.21.2011, 05:06 PM   #65
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
exactly, me and the deftones have grown up so much together, shit their last album was about Chi in that coma, and it came out when I was in the hospital nursing my dying and dearly close grandfather (who in fact raised me as a son) in his coma, those lyrics and vibe were potently close and hard-hitting, I still get sentimental about listening to them.. and it was not just the words to the lyrics, it was the entire tone and feeling of the music that carried these feelings..

deftones evolved with me from high school shit (adrenaline llyrics) through the mysteries of coping with love and drugs on the real world (around the fur) to navigating love and responsibility in the real world (white pony) to having mini-mid-life crises but staying grounded (self-titled) to accepting being an adult and thriving with it (Saturday Night Wrist) to coping with the realer losses and struggles of real life family drama that eclipses the juvenille and selfish experiences of the highschool vibe ( Diamond Eyes) these albums are evolving over 16 plus years, just as we all are..

American Beauty was the same thing for the Dead, as the were burying their relatives which marks a potent sign post in the transitions of our lives from youth to adulthood to old age to the grave and starting again.. every dying we feed the flame

Not wanting to get too tangential, but the way you respond to art in general depends on what time in your own personal psyche you encounter these big events. I remember when i first had my heart properly broken i got into painters like Francis Bacon, Goya etc. when i was about as Art-literate (capital A) as David Brent. There is always a comfort you go back to, but sometimes theres a fear of the melancholy that comes from remembering past times that drives you to find a new canvas to wrap yourself in.
Radiohead did that for me once upon a time, when listening to RnB made me feel like i was trapped and never going to get out. Maybe i feel a bit trapped now, i dunno. Ask a Psychology Graduate

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|