View Single Post
Old 02.27.2009, 10:55 AM   #29
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Their first album is one of my favourites of the last decade. Date With The Night, Y Control, Maps, Modern Romance... it's got so many great songs on. It's the soundtrack to the idea of a night-out in downtown New York that I have in my head, the excitement of the subway, walking down the darks streets, past the crackling neon, on the way to a grimey club, then the comedown of sitting in an empty cafe at 3am.

The second album is more poppy, and I haven't listened to it in ages, but I think they achieved what they wanted to do: reign-in the NY hipster-image, and make an album of good songs with strong melodies. I think it's a very likeable album, which is a difficult thing to describe or quantify, but there you go.

I like what I've heard of the new stuff. I don't understand why they couldn't have done most of those synth melodies with an effects-laden guitar though, like the sound they use on Y-Control. It doesn't bother me listening to it at home but I wonder how it will fit-in with the other songs when performed live.

I don't understand why people think their generic. Each album sounds different, and even their first one, which had them lumped together by NME with all the other 'The-' bands, is distinct: more distorted and louder yet more romantic and varied than The Strokes or whatever. I can't expect all die-hard Merzbow fans to like them, but it's exactly my kind of music anyway.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|