View Single Post
Old 05.17.2012, 11:07 PM   #6
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I understand your distaste for the preachy, but not all politics are preachy.

e.g.: The way the Ramones dressed and played was in itself a political statement. Further, look at the lyrics, which deal with feelings of boredom and disassociation from mainstream society. They are fun and goofy, and I'm not sure they had a programmed political agenda--they weren't Gang of Four--but the way they represented themselves as a band was a political gesture--obviously among other, perhaps more wonderful, things. Politics in one form or another are ubiquitous, so why not in music?

The book: I look forward to the entertainment this tome will bring me while I void my bowels.

I can dig that, but their songs weren't aimed at some sort of "message". The only agenda seemed about having fun and expressing what most disfranchised adolescents feel while doing it. Not the sort of stuff that's going to make too many feel uncomfortable listening to the actual music (which, again, came before any sort of message. Half their songs were just silly for sillies sake) 'cause they can't identify w/ whatever agenda.

Last thing I want to deal with is someone recommending me an album by a group of folks telling me how I should think or feel. How I should treat women, how I should or shouldn't vote, what types of foods I should or shouldn't eat...whatever. In terms of a live setting, it's usually even far worse. Even Bikini Kill (notorious for preachiness) got burned out on some of Ian Mackaye's antics in the early 90's.

Like I've said countless times...for me, music and art are best left as a means of escaping reality, not expressing it. Seldom a tool to aid me in identifying with it.