View Single Post
Old 05.14.2009, 02:40 PM   #121
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've thought about it some more, and I'm going with "longevity".

maybe it's just the glut of music that's "out there" or maybe it's just not as good, but I really don't hear much today that makes me think "these guys will still be huge in 30 years".

I can see that.

Listening to Wavves or New Age or Sic Alps I can't really see myself listening to them seriously 10 years from now. To me they're this age's "new wave" music: fun, kitschy stuff that isn't very deep that is more reflective of the period than timeless. They might as well be the fucking Cars or Corey Heart or Alphaville, because that's what they'll be to me in the future. Ok, maybe I'll give them a little more credit and say they might as well be the Vapors.

Of course there is stuff that's longer lasting than that. I think Sonic Youth, Deerhoof, and Mission of Burma are doing things that are a bit more timeless.

I really don't think that there is so much of a problem of bands running out of space or things to do, I think the problem is more that bands tend to pigeon hole themselves into one genre or another instead of just trying to do something that is honest and from their experiences.

Playing in bands I see this a lot. I see people go "oh let's make a shoegaze band," or I'll hear about some show that has a bunch of "math bands." Or let's write a "ska" song. It's just silly.

Just pick up your instrument and let it play you and see what comes out.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|