View Single Post
Old 01.24.2014, 08:45 PM   #4077
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Then you really should love Ronaldo. He's probably the most disliked player out there. Most of even those who acknowledge how good he is have trouble liking him. But then if you're drawn to unpopular players, you should love Suarez, too.

With me, sports beef and rivalries are complicated. I like to root for underdogs (who have talent or potential not just any underdog) when the favored or favorite teams/players are competing, because its fun for me to shit on other peoples' expectations. I grew up on 1990s Raiders and Lakers, so we were always being hated on by the Michael Jordans and the Dallas Cowboys of the world. What we had was grit, balls, and raw talent. What happened? Lakers went on to dominate basketball and win three championships, Raiders made the Superbowl and would have done it twice if not for some bullshit Tom Brady favoritism by the refs in the now infamous "Tuck Game" of 2001. So it happens that I become a contradiction, because while I'm an unabashed hater against the favorites, I ALSO HAVE A SCOUT'S EYE FOR TALENT AND POTENTIAL, so it seems every time I start to take notice of a nobody team, within a short time they win it all or at least get big fast. I ditched the Raiders and became a Baltimore Ravens fan ten years ago when I finally accepted the reality that Raiders ditched out on LA so why still root for them, and because Ravens were and are the PENULTIMATE "Fuck your team" team, nobody EVER believes we can win against the "better or favorite teams" and yet, nobody generally ever underestimates us. Year after year, we catch dick-rider teams slipping with a surprise punch to the mouth. NOTHING IS MORE FUN TO ME IN SPORTS THAN TO TAKE TH WIND OUT OF THE SAILS OF BANDWAGON, FANBOY, DICK-RIDING FAVORED/FAVORITE TEAMS WITH A SURPRISE GUT CHECK GAME.

Its why I became so damned in love with the Lebron era Heat. I started a bromance ten years ago with Miami Heat when Shaq left LA and swore he'd win a ring elsewhere, and I grew up LOVING Shaq, and LOVING Shaq in LA, and was very very bitter when he was chased out by everybody in LA loving Kobe more. I was like, "What the fuck yo?" So I followed Shaq to Miami and loved his revenge ring. I started rooting for Lebron in Cleveland in the same way, when he was the "Anti-Kobe" in the mid-2000s, and to top it off, Shaq even went to Cleveland. I was in heaven! So I followed Lebron to the Heat in Miami because its combined both of my revenge teams into one, Lebron AND the Heat? Fuck yeah.

Essentially with sports I'm a contrarian yet I still keep it based on stats.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|