Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.27.2016, 09:36 AM   #53
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was looking for a replacement Kurt, and NIN and Beck kind of filled the void together for a while.

Interesting way to phrase it. I never thought about the music I discovered around that time as a "replacement," but it's kind of true that's what a lot of it was. I just remember it being such an enjoyable open-minded time in music with so many genres starting to blend and pull from one another, (or maybe that is just how my impressionable teen mind felt about it all at the time). I went apeshit for Beck at the time too. I remember listening to the Loser single (which had about 5 or so songs) over and over long before Mellow Gold even released, just losing my shit over the combination of everything I was falling in love with at the time. That early Soul Sucking Jerk just had such a good groove. All these new styles and types of music combined into the freakish little CD, just, so damn good. It wet my appetite like no other. Other than In Utero, I think Mellow Gold was one of the first albums I just could not wait for it's release.

I mean, hell, it was that post Kurt exploration that led me to Sonic Youth. I hate to have to say I am one of those kids from that time, but I am (/raises hand as one of Pepper's "naive grunge kid followers"). Reading Nirvana's bios completely led me to check SY out, especially after seeing 100% on late-night MTV.

Back on main topic though...I know this might sound odd, but as a graphical person, NIN was one of the first bands that peaked my interest in "branding" as well. I just thought the logo was one of the coolest things ever, and my obsession with their branding and image was almost as strong as my enjoyment of their music.

So, out of curiosity, what are everyone's thoughts on How to Destroy Angels then? I was hesitant to embrace, for reason I not even sure. But I actually think that project's work is really solid too, personally.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|