Thread: religion
View Single Post
Old 07.31.2006, 05:05 PM   #57
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
King -

You just exposed the biggest misunderstanding you have with what I'm saying:

"He doesn't deserve to go to heaven. Ever." Of course not! That's not what Heaven, in Christianity , is! It's not something anyone deserves, or ever could deserve! It would warm my heart to know that Hitler finally laid down his guns and let himself be forgiven, let himself be healed of whatever fucked up tumor he had in his soul (which I believe we all have to varyingly-obvious degrees), let love win him over. In the end I don't think Heaven would be very meaningful if it weren't available to everyone, including Hitler. They would just have to choose it.

And yes, Hell is a place for people who don't want to "hang out" with God, in Christianity. It's a place for people who did not let him in. It has nothing to do with having violated the laws, because according to Christ, ahem, the founder of the religion, everyone's violated the law a zillion times over.

Also, religion is not a matter of faith necessarily. My religious beliefs are not really beliefs at all. I know God exists. I don't worry about it at all. It's not a matter of faith, it's a matter of knowledge. It would be an act of intellectual suicide for me to not believe in God. The faith (this is a common misconception) is put into the PERSON of God. You've seen their character, now you trust them, etc. Like you trust that your best friend isn't the kind of person to leave you high and dry. That's faith.