View Single Post
Old 12.28.2018, 07:22 PM   #845
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
We can probably agree a blend of interesting production and solid composition skills are ideal.

I guess it's just that if I put more stock in the latter. You prefer the former. If you had to choose.

I'm thinking that's what's going on.

There are some rote chord progressions I cannot stand to hear. My ears shut down. Maybe you feel the same about the tone of a strat through a Delux Reverb or whatever.

No, I love guitars. I’ve played guitar — MANY of them, actually — for 25 years. I love Febders more than anything.

I love hip-hop that successfully incorporates guitars or guitar tones without sounding corny (See: “Gorgeous”).

I just don’t hear much guitar/bass/drum music that excites me anymore, but the stuff that always has still does.

“Negative Creep” kicked into my head in the store about an hour ago and I felt it in my fucking medulla oblongata.

But not a lot of the music coming out now that excites me is the product of guitar/bass/drum.

I do love production, but without good composition it’s really just frosting. BUT... the production CAN be SO good that a song that barely contains any proper elements still fucking electrified me (turning again to Kanye, see “FADE,” a song that is basically nothing but production.. and still goddamn annihilates).

So I’m not sure where I’m going with this, but FOR THE MOMENT, and for the last several years, I have been more enthralled by compositions based on non-organic instrumentation, rapping, vocal effects, beats, electronic shit and, yeah, production, than I have by any new guitar/bass/drum compositions that have come out recently.

*shrug*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|