View Single Post
Old 12.03.2010, 06:16 AM   #13374
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I want to say.. Hal Hartley is one of my favorite directors now. If you're into true independant, risktaking, brilliant auteur cinema, the kind that Giuseppe Andrews, Jon Jost, Damon Packard, and many others create (writing, directing, doing cinematography for, composing for... doing just about everything for!), this is your man. Dude is simply brilliant. Unique as hell, inventive, inspiring stuff. I'll be honest, I had a really hard time with starting my next 2 movies (I've got hours and hours of footage shot for both), but seeing Hal Hartley's stuff has really inspired me, and the idea of "indy cinema" is once again really really exciting to me. Despite being very independant, shot for cheap, his films look and sound REALLY good. He mainly seems to specialize in superdark comedies, like the brilliant films of Todd Solondz. However, he has that really dark absurdist tone with his films, like Jon Jost... very very serious but just so OUT THERE at times that it seems like it comes from another planet. He explores prostitution, abortion, murder, etc... and he's funny! All his stuff is on btjunkie, with seeders, so it's easy to find. OH, he's also a bit like an American Godard, and an American Aki Kaurismaki at times too.... but he's also very very original, it just helps to throw names around to get people excited.

Started this last night...

...finished today.

Zebraman 2 - 5/10

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|