View Single Post
Old 12.29.2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
So in answer to the main question, I guess if you asked me years ago, I'd have said hell yes, love math rock. But now I don't spend much time on it at all, not even the classics. I still love Slint and Rodan and so on, but rarely listen to them.

I think I've had more of a lasting interest with bands that never quite fell under that reductive label, but were still at the very least "math-rock adjacent." Bands like Unwound, Lungfish, Bitch Magnet. Also the stuff Fugazi got into in the second half of the '90s ("Turkish Disco" from Instrument is a great example, as is a lot of the material from End Hits and Argument). Even Gastr Del Sol kinda.

These bands had too broad an approach to music to fall under one sub-genre of a sub-genre, but there are elements of the sound and aesthetic that defined Slint & co. in all of their music.

I don't think math rock quite exists anymore. There was a latter-day renaissance with Hella and Lightning Bolt and, a bit later on, Battles, but the styles morphed and changed and Battles last album had more in common with Discopunk stuff like Holy Fuck than with any vestiges of Don Cab.

Holy shit, Engine Takes to the Water is almost 22 years old. Rusty is 23. Spiderland is more than a quarter century old. Wow.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|