Thread: Hi there
View Single Post
Old 09.05.2019, 08:12 AM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
first of all, dude, I hope you realize that you have quite a high chunk of responsibility for me actually gathering enough courage to come up here and try this thing out, right? Because I remember you how you were telling me to go for it (well, not literally, but you know what I mean). You deserve a lot of credit.

yes haha. well i remember you were stressed out in your job, having reached your limits, with unavailable colleagues, questions about the future, etc.

im a bit of a lifelong nomad (just moved again, lol, to a city, it’s great) so i know changing environments is not as scary as what people make it. the act of moving house, yes, it’s a goddamn plague, so this time i did not “move” it. donated most of the stuff and just bought a few things for the new place. i’m loving it.

Quote:
It's beautiful here, no exaggeration. Zurich is small (300k people), ecological (not too many cars, people preferring to use bikes and trams/trains), quite hip (many cafes, handcraft shops, museum, concert venues), and very close to beautiful nature.

nice! i read above you live in a small place, but sounds like you can make the whole city your home (e.g. see: fumio sasaki). i’m living sort of like that as well, btw—small apartment with walking/bike access to everything, and cheap lyft/uber.

Quote:
The other thing is that some things are just absurdly awkward and clumsy here - for example I've been trying for 5 weeks already to set up health insurance here and I still haven't managed to sign a contract with an insurance company. In these cases, I feel that even a country like Slovakia is light years ahead of this country.

yeeeessss. they have mandatory insurance, but it’s all private as i recall. it’s where we would have gone with obamacare (but aren’t quite there yet). no single payer/national health. however i understand the insurance industry is tightly regulated and they have the best doctors in europe, so it should be worth getting it if you ever need (here’s hoping you don’t, but eh, life).

Quote:
People are quite reserved (some say that it's hard to make a Swiss friend sooner than in 10 years horizon) but very polite. And I couldn't care less, when most of my co-workers are from Poland, Hungary and Latvia

hahaha. great! i really love international communities. they’re the best everywhere. i get impatient when everyone is the same.

Quote:
I'm happy here. The job will be tough later on and I will see if I manage it fully, but overall, the living standard is extremly high here. I'd be happy if I could settle down here with my family.

awesome! please keep us posted on the regular.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|