View Single Post
Old 09.13.2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
My brief Nebraska football story...

When the Huskers came to Berkeley in the late-90's, my friend Ben who's a total anti-sports weird/noisepunker was decorating his entire apartment complex with graffitied bedsheets to welcome NU alums. His apartment building was clearly visible at the last sharp left into the parking lot of the Cal stadium parking lot.

From each of the south-facing balconies of the six-story building were giant signs with proclamations such as "You know you're a redneck when... [next story down] ...your mascot is CORN!"

The game was uncharacteristically close for the Nebraska team which was perenially a top-three-ranked team throughout the 90's. I seem to recall that the Huskers had to come from behind in the final minute to win the game. Coach Tom Osborn was interviewed on the field, ducking debris, immediately after the game, and he mentioned on ESPN that the Berkeley fans were so hostile to his team and the NU alumni, specifically saying "They had signs outside the stadium telling us that we were rednecks because our mascot was corn."

My friend and his roommates high-fived each other and ran around the room like silly: "Dude! They're talking about us on ESPN!"

I remember the game clearly, we were ranked 3rd, and later on were the no. 1 team before losing in College Station to A&M. Though, the game wasn't that close, perhaps 20-3? I think we were only up 7-0 at halftime. Also, Coach Osborne had already retired, it was Frank Solich. I was at the next seasons game between the two in Lincoln.

Our mascot is not corn, its a corn HUSKER. Big difference. Though, in the past our mascot was corn. I give you Old Man Cornhusker:

Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|