View Single Post
Old 05.19.2015, 10:06 AM   #102
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
t&b gets it. everything became quite heavy-handed in terms of the message, a sort of over-confidence in vocals to the point where they reached the same level as the music which should never have been the case. not in terms of their aesthetic value in the case of kim but the lyrics themselves, ie what a waste can be fucking offensive but kim's voice is great in it. thurston, though, started trying way too hard around goo, ego definitely got the better of him, and not only did his lyrics largely descend into shit, so too did his voice become infuriating, so rockist/blokeish. lee though, I love you lee.

if you take thurston's vox off this record entirely then I think it'd be perfect.
Yes i agree that lyrically its near ATL in power and indeed ATL is possibly Sonic Youth best lyrics of any record. It is also definitely a new beginning as it was the first new record after getting all their gear stolen here in LA in 1999.. the structure, style, and sound of this record reflects how it was written, on acoustic guitars. I think getting their shit stolen was a blessing in disguise as it forced the band into a new, more "traditional" direction.

They started writing new material on acoustic guitars which forces you to be more conventional, traditional, and musical in approach. The wild experimental tunings were replaced by more near standard tunings. They also built on a lot of open chord tunings similar but more elaborate than on ATL.. indeed i often play all the music from 98-2004 perios on my solo acoustic when jamming on the porch.

I think this transition is why its my fav sonic youth era

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|