View Single Post
Old 01.18.2017, 09:43 AM   #80
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7dDAm3NAk

you can't tell me this doesn't captivate any movie lover?

Oh god man, absolutely. Not even the most captivating scene in the film, but I just watched that clip and I wanted to see the entire damn movie again! I also wanted to see Lost Highway on account of that last shot.

I think you and I are mos def on the same page with the ol' Blue Velvet. But let me ask you this — and pardon me if we already went over this in the movie thread, because I recently brought this up there and didn't get a ton of agreement — but do you find yourself laughing out loud at Blue Velvet? I mean, I know it's nothing short of a goddamn nightmare, and that it has some of the absolute most disturbing and unsettling moments and themes probably in the history of cinema, but ... in addition to being horrifying, don't you find it somewhat hilarious?

Don't think I'm some kind of sick asshole. I'm legitimately unsettled by that movie every time I see it, or even think about it. But, as with pretty much all Lynch films, he sprinkles his horror with blacker-than-black humor, and when Blue Velvet isn't paralyzing me with its horrors, it's making me literally LOL.

Even in that scene you posted there's plenty of examples of what I'm talking about. Like, when they walk into "Suave" Ben's. Who the live-long fuck are those bored-looking, overweight nobodies sitting against the wall? It's like... what? It makes me laugh every time. Of course, they're probably "mafia wives" or something... except for the guy. But they don't fit in with the scenery at all, and they do t say a fucking word. They're obviously taking "care" of the kid, and when I start to think about it I wonder if the women are previous versions of Dorothy. Women he's conned or blackmailed into being his mistresses in the past, who have been cast aside. Then that makes me not LOL, because I think if that's the case, what happened to their families? Why are they still there? And then I snap back to the horror of it all. But hell, that's all just speculation. They're just weird ass people — drug addicts I suppose — who happen to look like bloated housewives from Edward Scissorhands. And that shit makes me laugh.

Also in that scene:

Frank to Ben: "Suave, you are one suave motherfucker!" (Zing!)

Frank to Raymond: "Raymond where's the fuckin' beer man"
Raymond: "It's right here Frank. Do you want me to pour it?"
Frank: "No I want you to FUCK it! Shit yes, pour the fuckin' BEER!" (Zing!)

Frank to Ben: "Let's drunk to fucking. Say, 'Here's to your fuck, Frank'" (Zing!)
Ben: "If you like, Frank. Here's to your fuck. Cheers.
Frank: "'Cheers.' Wow, suave man. You are so FUCKIN' suave!" (Zing!)

Oh, and from elsewhere in the film:

Sandy to Jeffery: "I can't tell if you're a detective or a pervert."
Jeffery: "Well, that's for me to know and you to find out." Hahaha! WTF? (Zing, Zing!)

Tell me I'm not crazy.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|