Thread: poverty thread
View Single Post
Old 05.18.2014, 07:18 PM   #79
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbo
errr…. yes it does. it's called "the brain." just because it doesn't always operate at a conscious level doesn't mean it's not there. "i really really feel like eating some cooked greens right now" or "fuck, i'm craving oranges" is a way for your brain to communicate the need for an ingredient to its own executive functions.

you feed that "computer" data by eating a variety of things, by exposing yourself to new foods (part of our genetic heritage as nomadic hunter-gatherers), then your body learns what's what, and how & where to get it.

if you have never eaten a fresh vegetable though, your "computer" might not realize it needs one. GIGO.

the brain, without technical aids, cannot scan objects and detect potassium, it doesn't realise the levels of the elements in the things around it, it doesn't know the composition of the foods it eats. it is on a clock running down the caloric energy expenditure from the last meal, looking for another one. it is primed by evolution to get whatever it can quickly. we can trick ourselves that we are rational supermen who can just make time and get beyond all this - hows that working out? obesity skyrockets and what is the solution of the majority of people bar scientists and the soylent crowd? moralizing, self help pep talks, shame, confusion, magical thinking, blah blah blah, meanwhile the public health crisis is getting worse. but i bet if we just keep doing the things we're doing people will make different choices right? who cares if they get ill and die young, we get the sad pleasure of telling them what their doing wrong and how easy it would be for them to just chose to do differently, (with zero knowledge of the neuro/bio-mechanics driving their actions. we get to profit from them AND punish them for letting down our teams delusion of the omnipotence of free will. if what we were doing right now was gonna work, it would have worked already. you can say that it doesn't work because people don't want it to, but that's not true.

i find no problem with someone who wants to be healthy and attractive but also wants to eat junk food. the idea that we should moralize and tell them they're bad people is absurd. we already have the data that explains their decisions. the fact that its neuro-chemical and there's no homunculus in their heads pulling the levers frightens us. but we're also fucking idiots who have been dragged kicking and screaming to a point where no matter what people want to believe, they've been humiliated into shutting the hell up in the face of the science. this is a good thing.

if you want to argue that YOU personally don't need soylent, i don't really care. noone will be forced to consume it.

the brain - it basically wants sugar fat and salt. it doesn't magically "know" the other things it needs. when it doesnt get them it makes substitutes which takes a heavy toll on the body. we evolved from a situation where our prerogative was to get that fucking bison dead right now, get the fucking fire lit, and eat that shit before a tiger comes along and chases us into the water. little time to think.

also - convenience and junk food - anyone that wants to make people feel ashamed about this, about the urge to just consume what you need quickly and simply - well, they know how i feel about them.

anyone who wants to condescendingly lecture exhausted working people about their dietary habits, well...

or how about - gasp - people who just don't want to bother.

who might have better things to do. or who just don't care.

anyone who wants to tell me this is bad is blowing smoke.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|