Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.19.2009, 10:05 AM   #176
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Her brief association with the riot grrrl thing was a bit of an anomaly in terms of her career as a (w)hole. Riot Grrrl always struck me (maybe wrongly) as a movement designed to promote the role of women in alternative music. I tend to think that from the beginning though, Courtney Love's only real interest was in promoting herself. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (well I am, actually) but a lot of what she was associated with (even outside of Riot Grrrl) was very scene based, with a definite sense that you worked to promote that scene - which is certainly something that, say, Sonic Youth have done. I don't think Courtney Love was ever interested in any kind of scene promotion that didn't immediately, and overwhelmingly benefit her. Had she formed some kind of uber-self centred LA hair metal band, this would've not only been expected but completely acceptable according to the ideology of that scene. Within the alt rock scene of the early 90s though it was something to be frowned upon, which is why (despite the fact that she was hardly alone in using the scene ultimately to promote herself) i think her rep within that scene is now so low.

Yes, I, for the most part, agree. Riot grrrl was also very politicized and CL was not - once again, she was all about herself, not "her sisters."

I thought that it was very on target what Courtney basically said "Great, you riot grrrls picked up instruments! Now learn how to friggin play them!"

Getting girls to feel comfortable playing is just one thing...but it really can't stop there. I get the feeling that the lack of talent and amount of talk in riot grrl may be a part of why so many people in this thread hated the movement. I personally think that getting girls to feel comfortable enough to show their faces and work together and start playing is only often a first step in the process of the amazing of an awesome rocker.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|