View Single Post
Old 06.21.2006, 04:24 PM   #55
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
it's just easier this way

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...ounds_of_love/

excerpts

Anxiety
Jan 11, 2006

CD [Rating2736647]
This is one of those albums that, when I meet anyone who means anything significant to me at all, I make sure they've heard at least once so I'll have the comfort of knowing they've at least experienced it before they die.

Of course, most people I meet have already heard this album, so it's not like I'm exactly standing on street corners ranting the gospels of Kate.

This album is an absolute masterpiece, deserving of every bloated accolade thrown its way (including these).

As she would do again to greater (yet somewhat simpler) effect on 2005's Aerial, this album is divided into a set of loosely woven pop chestnuts which open the album and (what I suppose can be called) a mini-rock opera which takes up the album's second side.

The first half is full of Kate Bush classics: "Running Up That Hill", "The Big Sky", "Cloudbusting", "Mother Stands for Comfort" and the title track all attach themselves with undeniable melody, quirky and sensual songwriting and, often, a stew of oddly seductive bombast.

The second half of the record is anyone's guess, but it sure does sound good. Subtitled "The Ninth Wave" (presumably after a Tennyson poem), it's the story of a woman trapped at sea, drowning, either dreaming or re-living (or living through) a witch trial. I think. And then she dies and floats above the earth and hears astronauts. Or something like that, I'm pretty sure. To be honest, I never sat down and mapped the thing out or researched what she was on about (until now, and even Google isn't bringing me closure).

What I do know is, Hounds of Love is a loopy slice of delirious beauty, crafted with love and care by someone who wanted her music to be enjoyed for years to come. Kate Bush has never been one to release anything on a level less than epic, and this album is the perfect example of the artist in her prime.

Tatem
May 21, 2006

CD [Rating4919673]
Once in a while you come across an album which you cannot believe you had never listened to it earlier. I expected Hounds of Loveto be tainted by the sound of the eighties like so much music from that decade, and yes there are synthesisers, but what an incredibly lush, atmospheric album this is. Chiefly that is due to Kate herself who is rightly a national treasure in Britain and someone who creates something so wierd and unique, yet so successful has to be applauded. Running Up That HillCloudbustingHounds Of Loveare all intoxicating pieces of music that still sound great today with those totally unique vocals. This is a Kate Bush album that is both accessible and bonkers in the way only she can do.

MoaM
May 01, 2006

Digital [Rating4715919]
Gawd, this album is the perfect combination of danceable tunes and experimentation. "A Jig For Life"? I'm doing a jig For Kate Bush!

Jiggity-Jig. Jig.

Has someone dubbed her the queen of Prog-Pop yet?
GalleryMinstrel
Mar 31, 2006

CD [Rating4402849]
She has such exquisite range, and her music takes me away to a dream land. Few women have dared go where Kate takes us on this magical journey. She plays the piano better than even Tori could, and not only that but the entire album is good from start to amazing finish. "Cloudbusting" is one of my all time favourite songs, everyone should own this.

daddythoseme

May 19, 2006

[Rating4889897]
Words cannot describe the genius of this album.
It is perfect, probably the best album of all time.
Kate Bush is a channel for the divine, and this album proves, beyond doubt, the existence of God.

Erm....what are we trying to say here atari?You're just copying and pasting reviews of 'Hounds of Love' that declare its genius.Been there,watched the movie,read the book etc etc.My question was,where is this album meant to be criminally underrated?I've hardly ever read a bad review about it.Just asking..........

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|