View Single Post
Old 01.25.2019, 07:17 PM   #23493
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A few pages ago I made what I thought was a pretty good point about Halloween II and how it reminded me more of Argento than it did Carpenter. And yet it's a slasher film and slasher films are generally recognised as being very misogynistic. If I'd posted instead to say hey, look at how this slasher film degrades women I wouldn't expect much of a reply, not because nobody here has an issue with misogyny but because I'd be stating the obvious. All I've been saying all along is that MDC is a great film. That doesn't stop it being racist (although I have to say, by Western standards, its racism is really very mild) nor do I think it stops it being not just an exceptional Western but an exceptional film. Showing me examples of its racism. I know those scenes. I could even point to ones in it you haven't mentioned. But we could find those scenes and far worse in every Western from that era. So what interests me isn't what makes MDC like every other Western but what makes it stand out. It's interesting to me that TheDom and I have both said it's our favourite film. Why that? Why not Liberty Valance or Shane or The Unforgiven?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|