View Single Post
Old 02.08.2017, 10:08 AM   #1086
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

on season 3 of Brit House of Cards. quite saucy

I'm interested in this.

I have to admit, I grow weary of U.S. imports of British shows. Britain has shown a really quite incredible intuition for television, predicting both the cinematic story telling that has become the default for American drama, death of the laugh track/multi-camera sitcom (or at least most of them.) Personally, I kind of fucking hate The Office UK. Kind of fucking hate Ricky Gervais. Also kind of fucking hate The Office US, but it had its moments. BUT... by and large I think the BBC has done some extraordinary things, and imported shows (see Being Human US, Torchwood's shameful US season, etc.) usually suffer from being entirely commercially minded piles of shit.

House of Cards is one that I am approaching from a different angle, as I haven't seen the UK original series. I like the Netflix series despite Kevin Spacey's often excruciating take Southern "Dandy" horseshit, because it's a well-made political drama that actually explores the workings on Congress, and I'm a teency bit of a politics and government nerd. It's nice to have a show that embellishes and pours on the tension just enough to make politics feel exciting to the average person.

Sooo... I've considered watching the U.K. version at some point, but I guess I was planning on waiting until HOC US ended, so it wouldn't color my perception of it. I know the U.K. show ended after 3 seasons, while the US is pushing... what... six? That liberty-taking rubs me the wrong way. Like how Game of Thrones is just doing its own goddamn thing now (apparently... I stoped watching long ago and decided to just be a book guy), and is readying heir final season when there are still two books yet to come out, and god knows when that will happen. Yeah, I dislike that shit. I object to it. Tell the story, see it through, do it right, or call yourself something else. Asstwats!

What were we talking about again?
Oh right, Doctor Who or something. No?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|